Total Pageviews

14 Nov 2007

The Story Behind "Believe"



It's a song about love but it's not a pure love song. "To me this song says strongly and loudly "I believe in love"" explained Elton about the song. "I do believe in something. I believe in faith, I believe in the human spirit and in its generosity". In the other way, he think that "Religion can be so divisive. It can be so depressing to look at situations, like the religious situations all over the world". In contrast, "I believe in all I can as a human being to be positive and in being as loving and generous as I can". Pure philosophy.

The lyrics' provided too cornerstone "Cancer sleeps curled up in my father" as Bernie's father was dying at that time. Also love transcends barriers and institutions "everything crumbles sonner or later but love".

Elton John's main vocal influence remains John Lennon, especially on this album's first single, "Believe," the lyrics to which also echo the tone of several of Lennon's solo ballads.

And the Marcus Nispel's video is probably one of the best of Elton's career. The director intention was to represent a city that was in the sky. "I wanted it to be in black and white" said Elton "like the images I love to see in black and white photography".

Believe's lyrics:

Music by Elton John
Lyrics by Bernie Taupin

"I believe in love, it's all we got
Love has no boundaries, costs nothing to touch
War makes money, cancer sleeps
Curled up in my father and that means something to me
Churches and dictators, politics and papers
Everything crumbles sooner or later
But love, I believe in love

I believe in love, it's all we got
Love has no boundaries, no borders to cross
Love is simple, hate breeds
Those who think difference is the child of disease
Father and son make love and guns
Families together kill someone
Without love, I believe in love

Without love I wouldn't believe
In anything that lives and breathes
Without love I'd have no anger
I wouldn't believe in the right to stand here
Without love I wouldn't believe
I couldn't believe in you
And I wouldn't believe in me
Without love

I believe in love"

No comments: